Article 31 Uganda Constitution 1995
Article 31 of the Uganda Constitution 1995 is under Chapter Four (Protection and promotion of fundamental and other human rights and freedoms) of the Constitution. Article 31 is about Rights of the family.
(1) A man and a woman are entitled to marry only if they are each of the age of eighteen years and above and are entitled at that age
a. to found a family; and
b. to equal rights at and in marriage, during marriage, and at its dissolution.
(2) Parliament shall make appropriate laws for the protection of the rights of widows and widowers to inherit the property of their deceased spouses and to enjoy parental rights over their children.
(2a) Marriage between persons of the same sex is prohibited.
(3) Marriage shall be entered into with the free consent of the man and woman intending to marry.
(4) It is the right and duty of parents to care for and bring up their children.
(5) Children may not be separated from their families or the persons entitled to bring them up against the will of their families or of those persons, except in accordance with the law.