Section 8 Nigerian Electoral Act 2022
Section 8 of the Nigerian Electoral Act 2022 are under Part II of the Act. Part II is titled STAFF OF THE COMMISSION.
Secretary and other staff of the Commission
(1) There shall be a Secretary to the Commission who shall —
(a) be appointed by the Commission;
(b) have such qualifications and experience to be determined by the Commission as are appropriate for a person required to perform the functions of his or her office under this Act; and
(c) hold office for a term of four years from the date of his or her appointment which may be renewable for another tenn of four years and no more.
(2) Subject to the general direction of the Commission, the Secretary shall be —
(a) responsible for keeping proper records of the proceedings of the Commission;
(b) the head of the Commission’s secretariat and be responsible for its administration; and
(c) responsible for the direction and control of all other employees of the Commission with the approval of the Commission.
(3) The Commission shall have power to appoint, dismiss and exercise disciplinary
control over its staff as may be prescribed by this Act or any other enactment by the
(4) All employees of the Commission appointed under subsection (3), excluding persons appointed on a temporary basis for an honorarium, shall have the same rights and obligations as provided for in the Pension Reform Act.
(5) A person who, being a member of a political party, misrepresents himself by not
disclosing his membership, affiliation, or connection to any political party in order to
secure an appointment with the Commission in any capacity, commits an offence and is liable on conviction, to a fine of N5,000,000 or imprisonment for a term not more than two years or both.
Section 1-7 Nigeria Electoral Act 2022 (ESTABLISHMENT AND FUNCTIONS OF INDEPENDENT NATIONAL ELECTORAL COMMISSION)